- An implant to control BP by sending electrical signals to the brain has been invented by German researchers without any major side effects
- This implant will work for those patients who do not respond to existing medical treatment for the condition and the device will require a surgery and will be implanted to patients who are resistant to medication
- The implantable device uses an intelligent circuit to record the activity of the patient, for instance when they are exercising, and adjust the blood pressure and it consists of 24 individual electrodes that are integrated into a micro-machined cuff.
- It is designed to wrap around the vagus nerve, which extends from the brainstem to the thorax and abdomen — supplying and stimulating various major organs including the heart and major blood vessels.
- The device works by picking up signals from specific sensors, known as baroreceptors, which are activated when blood vessels stretch.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/worlds-first-implantable-device-to-reduce-high-bp/article5995150.ece