Wikipedia taps students for Kannada content
- In tier II and III cities in India, Wikipedia is tapping college students to increase idiom content on the web-based encyclopaedia.
- There is little content on science and technology where as on Karnataka wikipedia there is enough content on Kannadiga, Kannada.
- Wikipedia is conducting workshops to teach students to turn volunteers from far-flung places in order to fill this gap
- The language was difficult to type but some practice will make it simpler.
- Contributions peaked in 2006 & 2008, declined due to many reasons & picked up last year as 500 students of Christ University, Bangalore, were trained in editing at a workshop which made a significant increase in number of editors out of which 226 are active editors who contributed 16,670 articles.
- Crowd Sourcing