7 million deaths caused by air pollution in 2012: WHO
- 1 of every 8 deaths in 2012 occurred due to outdoor or indoor air pollution, from among the 7 million who died. This makes air pollution the single largest environmental health hazard.
- This huge number can be attributed to better monitoring mechanisms & better understanding of how air pollution causes cardiovascular diseases & cancer.
- The deaths from outdoor air pollution (3.7 million) show an increase as rural data has also been included this time (excluded in 2008).
- Among them, 80% deaths were caused by strokes & heart diseases, 11% by lung diseases & 6% due to cancer.
- LMI (Low & Middle Income) countries, which account for 82% of world’s population, account for 88%of these deaths.
- Air Pollution
- LMI (Low & Middle Income) countries