- Beef is the most expensive protein in terms of environmental damage wrecked by feeding and raising cattle as it requires:
- 28 times more land to produce either dairy, eggs, poultry or pork.
- 11 times more irrigation water than other proteins.
- It spews 5 times as many greenhouse gas emissions into the environment
- 6 times the reactive nitrogen from fertilizer.
- It makes 7 % of all consumed calories in the US diet.
- The US beef industry’s representative said environmental improvements have been made and have questioned the methodology of the study.
- Read at:http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/tp-in-school/ which-protein-is-most-costly- to-the-environment/ article6239003.ece