Telangana’s birth may have to wait
- The Telangana Bill is passed in the Parliament, which is due for President’s approval.
- However, considering the Lok Sabha elections and Assembly polls due in April-May of 2014, the bifurcation of Andhra Pradesh is likely to be done after May.
- The bill will turn into Act after President’s approval, but it doesn’t mean that the birth of Telangana and Andhra Pradesh is finalized. It would be done only when the Union government fixes the date of bifurcation.
- The Election Commission believes that the bifurcation will not affect the Lok Sabha and AP Assembly elections, and they are proceeding with the 2014 elections as usual.
- States Reorganisation Commission (SRC)
- Article 3