Core What is Multi Brand Retailing?
- It is the marketing of similar and competing products by the same firm under different and unrelated brands. For example, walmart, big bazaar etc.
- While these brands may affect each others’ sales, its advantages include:
- Saturation of market by filling existing price and quality gaps.
- Caters to the consumers who like experimenting with different brands.
- Generates tough competition resulting in increased efforts and therefore better quality.
- Greater shelf space with little room for competitor’s products.
- Disadvantages include:
- Shutting up of small-scale industries or manufacturers as cheaper products may be outsourced from other countries.
- Small traders and shopkeepers may lose out to the giant sharks resulting in loss of livelihood for thousands.