Campaign to curb suicides among Idu Mishmi community
- There is tremendous increase of suicides among a small community Idu Mishmi, living in Dibang and Lower Dibang Valley regions of Arunachal Pradesh.
- This horrifying wave has promoted organizations to start awareness campaigns in their region.
- It is not only just the suicide that is prevalent out there. Even euthanasia or mercy killings of people who wish to end their life due to severe illness and old age, is quite common to the place.
- Since the community is too small, there are limited scopes for building marital relationships, which can been seen as one of the main causes of frustration amongst youth.
- On the other hand, Idu women go through a different set of problems as well. Forced marriages is one of the major factors affecting life of Idu woman deeply.
- Once an Idu woman becomes widowed, she is forced to marry with her late husband’s elder or younger brother.
- Mukut Mithi represents Idu Mishmi community in Rajya Sabha. According to them, there is an immediate need of two things, firstly the intervention from the government, and secondly the need for deep research and study to come up with solutions.
- A legislator, Laeta Umbrey, belonging to Idu community, states that the reasons may be genetic in nature. Laeta says “It’s a psychology of human. It is an extremely remarkable subject for anthropological research and studies.”
- Tribal communities in Arunachal Pradesh
- Socio-economic hardships of tribals