- Getting entangled in trawl nets are one of the main reasons for death of Olive Ridley turtles.
- Another reason for increase in causalities is bottom and mid-level trawling.
- If the turtles are trapped in trawl nets, the Fisheries Department has asked all the fishermen to cut their nets free to let the turtles go free.
- Females are often plagued by mosquitoes during nesting.
- Humans are still listed as the leading threat to responsible for unsustainable egg collection, slaughtering nesting females on the beach, and direct harvesting adults at sea for commercial sale of both the meat and hides.
Read more about Olive Ridley turtles.