- According to the data from National Crime Records Bureau(NCRB 2013),West Bengal accounts for the highest number of cases(29,836 cases 60 %) of cruelty to woman by husband and in-laws under Section 498-A of the Indian Penal Code (IPC).
- In 2013, 18,116 cases under Section 498 –A were registered which amounts to 15.24% in the Country.
- The Supreme Court has directed the State governments not to automatically arrest when a case under Section 498-A of the IPC is lodged.
- The 5 years records of West Bengal shows that the highest number of cases under Section 498-A when compared to other States in the country(dropped to 19,881 in 2012 to 18,116 in 2013).
- The conviction rate in the State of those charged has decreased from 2011-6.3 %, 2012-4.4 %, 2013-2.3 %. At National level an increase by 1 % – from 15 in 2012 to 16 in year 2013.