- After the referendum in eastern Ukrainian provinces declared sovereign rule, major fighting ensued in these regions between the separatists and Ukrainian armed forces that led to the killing and wounding of several policemen.
- In an assassination attempt, Valeri Bolotov, governor of the self-proclaimed Luhansk People’s Republic, was shot and wounded.
- German foreign minister Frank-Walter Steinmeier arrived in Kiev to help arrange round-table talks between the 2 parties, under the peace plan proposed by Organisation for Security and Cooperation in Europe (OSCE).
- Ukraine pressed on with its anti-terrorist operations and announced an “all-Ukraine round table of nationality” for those who support legitimate political goals and made it clear that the separatists would not be invited.
- Russia urged Ukraine to stop its activities in compliance with the OSCE roadmap and this may lead to the separatists responding in an adequate way. It also insisted on pre-payment for continuous supply of gas to Ukraine after it ran to debts of $3.5 billion for delivered fuel.
- Ukraine and EU sealed a deal for 1 billion euro ($1.37 billion) aid for building on Ukrainian institutions.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/fresh-ukraine-flareup-threatens-europes-peace-plan/article6006946.ece