Between lies and illusions, a tortured partnership (Book Review)
- Pakistan, the epicentre of global terrorism is considered a black opening for United States (US)’ aid.
- Pakistan was labeled as a sponsor of terrorism during the Clinton management
- The Bush administration refused to acknowledge its anti-India terror sanctuaries where as leaned hard on it in the war on terror.
- Pakistan, apart from mermerising USA on terror front, has reminded the world of the havoc one can expect if its nuclear arsenal were to fall in wrong hands.
- Pakistan showed its indispensability in 9/11 disaster. Yet, USA continued funding it knowing fully that it will be used for anti-India terror activities.
- There are essentially 3 strategic interests for USA vis-à-vis Pakistan — terrorism, nuclear weapons & emergent threat of regional stability (regional stability is to be taken seriously as it involves India & China).
- With the above 3 strategic interests comes 3 alternatives: defensive insulation from Pakistan based threats; a military-first approach to address security concerns & a comprehensive cooperation that paves the way for a more stable Pakistan.
- Amidst the above, Pakistan always feels ‘being used’ when required & shunned otherwise.
- USA Pakistan Bilateral Realtions