- Obama govt is set to launch regulations proposed by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) to reduce carbon pollutions in power plants – which is the country’s largest source of pollution– by almost 25%.
- This will put US on the path to meet its international climate goal, and help it leverage better climate commitments from countries like India and China.
- The rules may invite backlash from Republicans and several congressmen who deny climate change and criticize the cost-cutting measures.
- Many believe the guidelines could deliver significant emission cuts without hurting the economy.
- US’s switch from coal to a cheaper natural gas has already decreased its carbon di oxide emissions, and has increased investments in renewable. The demand for electricity has also dipped.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-opinion/obama-to-unveil-historic-climate-change-plan/article6073303.ece