- US signed a new defence pact with Philippines that allows for stationing of more US troops and ships to rotate the sensitive South China Sea, and for placement of US hardware on Filipino bases.
- US Prez Barack Obama said that US has taken no stand on the sovereignty of disputed territories previously claimed by China, Malaysia, Japan, the Philippines, Brunei and Vietnam, but was working towards freedom of navigation and peaceful resolution of disputes.
- He also urged the Chinese to resolve disputes of maritime territory by peaceful methods and not intimidation and coercion.
- US expressed its support for Philippine’s decision to take China to international arbitration over its territorial disputes with China, including over the Second Thomas Shoal.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/tp-international/ we-welcome-chinas-peaceful- rise-obama/article5958088.ece