- Madras High Court raises question on applicability of Arms Act 1959 on crew members of American Ship MV Seaman Guard Ohio. Can this Act be evoked as all foreign vessels are “sailing nation’ ?
- Matter came up in course of hearing a criminal revision petition filed by one of US ship accused crew member Mariya Anton Vijay
- AAG denies crew posed threat to sovereignty or are from any terror outfit.
- AAG says illegally entering Indian waters with arms was unlawful. Judge asks how ship’s cook, deck cleaner could be prosecuted under Act
- Judge sought to know how a vessel in mid sea can report to nearest police station as mandated under the Act.
- Anomalies in Arms Act 1959