- On rising communal violence in Sri Lanka, the United Nations has urged the country to intervene and stop promotion of racial and faith-based hatred, and violence against Muslim and Christian communities by Buddhist extremists.
- In the last couple of years, Sri Lanka has been witness to increased violent attacks against religious minorities who are reportedly subjected to hate speech, discrimination, attacks and acts of violence.
- The Special Rapporteur on freedom of religion or belief believes it to be the result of the impunity in Sri Lanka and urged the country to guarantee the right to freedom of religion or belief of members of minority religious communities and stop any advocacy of racial and religious hatred.
- Besides the Bodu Bala Sena (BBS), the Sinhala Ravaya and the Hela Bodu Powura proclaim racial superiority of Sinhala Buddhists and spread fear among local population.
- The hatred is being perpetuated by spreading allegations such as bulldozing of Buddha statues, forcibly conversion of youth and the sick to Christianity, smuggling of drugs and birth control pills by the Muslims etc among the local population.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/un-urges-colombo-to-stop-promotion-of-faithbased-hatred/article6171779.ece