- In its biggest move post its presidential elections, Ukrainian forces said they have captured and hoisted Ukraine flag on the strategic rebel-controlled port of Mariupo, which has been declared as the temporary capital of Donetsk.
- The move is significant considering this is the export channel for coal and industrial products which is fundamental to Ukraine’s economic growth.
- The clash between the govt and rebels has only intensified post the elections. Ukraine has been working to prove that the insurgency was premeditated by Russia.
- Ukraine has also been cut off from Russia’s vital gas supplies, which is proving quite difficult for it.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/ukraine-retakes-strategic-rebelheld-port/article6113407.ece