- Ukrainian forces reclaimed lost territories, especially the city of Slavyansk which has the country’s biggest weapon storage facilities, and hoisted the Ukrainian flags on these soil.
- Slavyansk is the symbolic heart of an uprising ignited by the ouster of a pro-Russia administration in Ukraine and also Russia’s annexation of Crimea.
- Residents were surprised to see the barricades and stations unmanned as most of the insurgent leaders had abandoned their post.
- The retreat was allegedly led by a Russian colonel, though Russia has repeatedly denied any links with the separatists amidst Western allegations that the uprising is funded by Russia.
- The reclamation of lost territories serves as a big victory for the Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko, who has now fulfilled his promise of a quick resolution of the crisis. But the small-scale warfare has left close to 500 dead.
- Ukraine has agreed to hold immediate crisis talks with the rebel commanders and Russia in order to stem the bloodshed that has also affected the East-West ties.
- Russian President Vladimir Putin came under criticism from the separatist leaders who alleged him to have filled hopes in them about protecting Russian people and defending New Russia but abandoning them.
- Read at:http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/kiev-pushes-rebels-out-of-slavyansk/article6181668.ece