- Mr.Petro Poroshenko is heading for a victory according to exit polls in Ukraine’s snap presidential election. Preliminary results of two exit polls gave Mr. Poroshenko 55.9 % and 57.3 % of the votes(above 50 % to win presidency in 1st round). Former Prime Minister Yulia Tymoshenko was estimated to have received less than 13 %.
- The new President elected for a 5 year term will likely to be curtailed as the political forces support switching from a presidential to a parliamentary system of government.
- Mr. Poroshenko (48) Chocolate tycoon is an old hand in Ukraine’s politics,active in the 2004 Orange Revolution and served as Foreign Minister and Economic Development Minister. He is said to have financed three-month-long protests in Kiev against Mr. Yanukovych.
- He supported Ukraine’s closer ties with West, but is against joining NATO and promised to mend ties with Russia after the election.
- In the eastern provinces of Donetsk and Luhansk,election had disrupted with voting blocked in 25/34 election districts.The two regions held referendums on state sovereignty supported by 90 % of voters.
- Formed a self-proclaimed independent state of Novorossiya and vowed to derail the presidential vote.
- Russian Prime Minister arrived in Crimea to underscore Moscow’s (part of Ukraine until it reunited with Russia) grip on region.
- Kiev sent troops to east to suppress the revolt, but the “anti-terrorist operation” killed 150 combatants and civilians in fighting in the east.
- No observers among 3,600 foreign observers from 19 countries and 19 international organisations were were deployed in Donetsk and Luhansk.