Twitter goes dark in Turkey
- Prime Minister Mr.Erdogan threatened to wipe out social media without considering international community’s opinion, as social network site “Twitter” was highlighting corruption in Turkey’s inner circles.
- Authorities blocked access to Twitter because they ignored various Turkish court orders to remove some links deemed illegal.
- Twitter said on its official @policy feed that Turks could get around the block by tweeting through mobile telephone text services.
- Such moves against Twitter has sparkled outrage from the opposition,European Union & Erdogan’s own administration.
- Turkish President Mr.Gul, an avid social media user himself, accepted that it is not technically possible to totally block access to social media platforms worldwide.
- Opposition can take “legal action” against the ban and warned that the move can put Turkey into a league of undemocratic countries like China.
- The move can cause violation of citizen’s right to speech and could threaten Turkey’s bid of entering EU.
- Turkey is already world’s top jailer of journalists.
- Social Media
- Right to Speech