Nepal cracks down on Tibetan activists
- Nepal beefed up security to prevent any anti-China demonstrations around Kathmandu.
- Areas having Tibetan population and places where activists had protested earlier have intense Police patrolling.
- China claims Tibet as an integral part of itself for centuries. Chinese security forces in 1950s vehemently put down the demonstrations against Chinese occupation.
- China puts pressure on Nepal to disallow any anti-China protests. Nepal obliges this as it upholds the ‘one-China’ policy of its neighbour.
- Nepal government officials react with angry for every such protest against its ‘friendly neighbor’. They believe that any neighboring states policy & sensitivities should be respected.
- One China Policy
- Nepal China relations
- Tibetan plea for autonomy