Field survey fails to ensure clarity on Ecologically Sensitive Areas
- The panchayat-level committee has submitted the field report on their survey of Western Ghats. The aim is for verifying the techy.
- The verification team Chief, K. Kasturirangan has emphasized on the need to perform a detailed and lengthy exercise to verify data in a scientific manner.
- They will need to put in extra efforts to plot the field survey maps. GIS (Geographic Information System) and GPS (Global Positioning System) technology are being used to fix up the coordinates and map the perimeters of ESAs.
- According to officials, the survey maps have been created in the absence of scientific inputs. In addition, there is a massive public pressure on the panchayat-level committee to exclude the agricultural holdings from ESAs.
- The field maps do not provide accurate geographical information, without which it is quite difficult to verify ESAs. So, there is the need to verify their accuracy thoroughly.
- Ecologically Sensitive Areas
- GIS (Geographic Information System)
- GPS (Global Positioning System)
- K. Kasturirangan report on western ghats