- Months after the riots in Muzaffarnagar in UP, the large number of Muslim families who were ousted from their homes are still languishing in the refugee camps.
- The State govt has displayed a cruel sense of apathy to their plight and recently even issued a notice to the tragedy-struck families that were occupying a govt land adjacent to one the riot-sites asking them to vacate the land immediately.
- This, despite instances where riot-affected people were harassed when trying to enter their own city. Also, many of them have no homes to return to since their home and property perished in the riots.
- Most of them refuse to enter their cities or even go in search of work in the absence of security to them and their families.
- The families have not been compensated as promised resulting in the women having to work in brick kilns, and many children falling ill and losing their lives.
- The new govt at the Centre, should focus on fulfilling its promise of inclusive governance and making all minorities equal partners in the country’s growth.
- Ironically, one of the MPs accused in the riot recently took out a victory procession in the area.
- The govt should ensure quick justice and help rebuild the lives, in addition to providing security and stabilizing the area.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-opinion/the-tragedy-of-muzaffarnagar/article6143385.ece