Gene causing rare disease found in south Indian woman
- A woman with Dravidian descent has displayed the Haim-Munk Syndrome (HMS) which is mostly found among specific Jewish populations.
- Found first time among Dravidian population.
- It is the same genetic mutation (in Cathepsin C gene) that has caused it.
- Symptoms include :
- had recurrent skin infections
- periodontitis (inflammation that damages the gum & soft bone that support teeth)
- loss of teeth
- nails resembling claws.
- Haim-Munk Syndrome (HMS)