- The Annual Health Survey conducted by the office of Census of India covered 20.94 million people and 4.32 million households in 284 districts in 9 states was the largest sample survey in the world.
- The survey reports that in 84 of 284 districts there is a fall in sex ratio at birth.
- Pithoragarh in Uttarakhand has a low 767 girls to every 1,000 boys which shows that law to prevent sex-selection has failed in creating deterrents against the practice of aborting female foetuses.
- The sex ratio decline in 0-4 age group due to neglect of girls after they are born, was visible in 127 districts and significant in 46 districts. Rajasthan recorded lowest,while Chhattisgarh recorded the highest.
- The sex ratio are worst in urban areas than rural as there are availability of sex selection technology and higher incomes contributed to this decline. For ex., in Jharkhand the sex ratio was 961 in rural areas was as low as 903 in urban areas.
- Women Empowerment will mean nothing if we are unable to overcome defiant attitudes & behaviour towards the birth of a girl child & their upbringing.
- Annual Health Survey
- Census of India
- Sex Ratio
- Women Empowerment