- Thai Army Chief announced seize of powers by the armed forces to restore peace and stability to the country. He ordered the rival protesters off the streets and deposed the govt to end months of escalating political tensions.
- The Chief said that this was done to end the violence that is claiming innocent lives and destroying properties.
- He urged the people to remain calm, govt officials to continue work and directed the deposed Cabinet to report to the army.
- This is the second such military coup in Thailand, the first being the one in 2006. The present battle is between the royalist elite and its backers against the democratically elected government whose Prime Minister was recently dismissed.
- Leaders from US, UK, France and UN Secretary Ban-Ki-Moon condemned the coup and sought immediate restoration of civilian govt and order.
- Read at:http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/army-chief-stages-coup-in-thailand/article6038900.ece