- Sweden blamed the chemical industry lobby and would sue European Commission for its delay in identifying harmful chemicals in everyday products.
- The criteria needs to be set to identify endocrine disrupting chemicals (EDCs) in everyday products including disinfectants, pesticides & toiletries, which have been linked to cancers, birth defects & development disorders in children.
- Hormone disrupters are a huge problem and,Sweden and Denmark demanded the Commission to take action.
- According to a scientific report in Sweden, double-sexed fishes were found & which affects fertility of young boys and girls.
- Despite of pressure from the European Parliament for urgent action, the Commission has bowed to chemical industry insisting on a consultation and analysis before setting criteria stated European health and environment groups.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/
todays-paper/tp-opinion/ sweden-to-sue-eu-for-delay-on- hormone-disrupting-chemicals/ article6038896.ece
- Endocrine Disrupting Chemicals (EDCs)
- European Parliament
- Harmful chemicals in everyday products