- Comparison of Global Solar Sector in the 1st quarter of 2014 and 2013:
- Total corporate funding surged from $5 billion in 2013 to $7 billion. (Includes venture capital (VC), private equity (PE), debt financing, and other equity financings raised by public companies)
- Global VC funding, PE and corporate VC upped to $251 million in 26 deals, from $87 million in 24 deals in 2013.
- Corporate solar M&A activity increased to 38 transactions from the 25 transactions in 2013.
- Third-party residential/commercial funds raise record amounts.
- Solar downstream companies attracted most of the VC funding this quarter, with $182 million in 13 deals, with 22 M&A transactions.
- Project acquisitions added to $1.5 billion in 42 transactions and more than 1.7 GW in solar projects changed hands.