Question mark over Maldives poll
- The upcoming Parliamentary polls in Maldives look uncertain as Supreme Court has sentenced all 4 Commissioners on charges of contempt of court.
- The Election Commission chairperson, Fuwad Thoufeeq, who won international acclaim for conducting the much-hyped & Presidential polls last year, is barred from his post and jailed for 6 months with a suspension order.
- The court’s interference in the conduct of Presidential polls was criticized by Mr.Thoufeeq and hence was sentenced after the matter was taken up suo motu by SC.
- The Majlis finalizes the members of EC at Constitutional level. This sentence won’t ensure a quorum in the EC with only 2 members available for decision making at the operational level.
- Maldivian Democratic Party angrily stated that there is no misconduct of the local body elections from their end.
- The serious nature of differences between the critical institutions in the nascent democracy was taken into consideration by both parties.
- Maldives Elections
- Democracy in Maldives