- Khap Panchayat in Birbhum district of West Bengal ordered to rape a 20 year old woman, for she was in relationship with a man from different community.
- The police of the area could have prevented this mishap, however they failed to do their duty.
- This showed the states incapacity / inability to safeguard it’s citizens’ Fundamental rights (Article 21 of Constitution of inherently allows one to marry any person of their choice).
- SC felt that if Police machinery had worked in better organized and coordinated manner, they could have prevented the woman from suffering.
- Compensation of INR 5 lakh has to be given to the victim from West Bengal state government, as per SC order.
- Khap Panchayat
- Article 21
- Supreme Court