Police to form women corps
- Considering the increasing number of crimes against women, the State police have decided to form a team of special cops to aid law enforcement.
- The cops will be able to deal with domestic violence of women and infringement of their rights at the public places.
- The team will include skilled women volunteers who’ll be able to provide emotional support, medical aid, counseling and legal support to the victim.
- To form the team, they will need at least 10 women volunteers from each panchayat, and at least 50 women from each municipality.
- The team will work as ‘eyes and ears’ of police in the field. Nonetheless, the volunteers will have no authority to perform searches, arrest the suspects, use vigilante action, and etc as of the normal police.
- These women volunteers will be trained to collect the intelligence. They will also be given honorariums and commendation depending on the merits of their service
- In addition, a 24×7 ‘Control room for women in distress’ will back up the cops, and a toll-free number 1091 will be open for public soon.
- They will also form three special courts to perform only those trials in which women are victims.
- The State police are also working to set up a ‘Social Welfare Department’ to serve as safe houses for victims.
- Public-Police relationship
- Police reforms
- Women representation in Police force
- Community friendly-police