- In a show of sports diplomacy, Vietnam hosted volleyball and football contests between its own and Filipino troops, an act that suggests that both sides could ease territorial disputes.
- The games were hosted in the Spratlys archipelago, a region of territorial dispute between Philippines, Vietnam, China, Malaysia, Brunei and Taiwan, which is believed to have huge deposits of oil and minerals.
- All these countries, except for Brunei, have troops in the islands. The games were interspersed with cultural displays.
- The Philippine Navy offered to host the next year’s match and hoped that the other countries will also join in.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/filipinovietnamese-sports-diplomacy-in-south-china-sea/article6095998.ece
- Sports Diplomacy In The South China Sea
- South China Sea Disputes
- East Asia Summit (EAS)