Street Vendors Bill passed in RS
- The Street Vendors bill was passed in Rajya Sabha.
- Street vending is a common income source to many poor people in cities. It provides affordable and convenient services to the urban populace.
- Salient features:
- protection of social security and livelihood rights of the street vendors,
- regulation of street vending in urban areas.
- create ‘helpful’ environment for the street vendors.
- postings of “Town Vending Authority” at each local municipal to implement these provisions.
- The town vending authority will perform a complete survey of existing street vendors, once in every 5 years. After a complete survey, they will issue a vending certificate to each street vendor.
- There’s a provision in the bill to give preferences to the STs, SCs, OBCs, minorities, women, and the individuals with physical disabilities.
- Street Vendors Bill 2012