- UPA-II government has accepted the long-pending demand for ‘one rank, one pension‘ (OROP) for defence veterans which will benefit millions of defence pensioners from 2014-15.
- Soldiers of the same rank & same length of service will receive a similar pension when they retire.
- They had some arguments, regarding the demand for pension, as there are early retirements in defence service and just a few men rise to higher positions unlike their civil service counterparts who serve until the age of 60.
- OROP has extended their moral support to Retired & Armed personnel in terms of pay, perquisites, working conditions & career prospects.
- The Standing Committee on Defence, in a report mentioned that they have a record-shortage of the officers of both Navy & Air Force.
- One rank, one pension (OROP)