- Climate change takes its toll on villagers living along a river on Ghoramara island in Sunderbans archipelago as rising sea level threatens to swallow their huts
- People have been shifting their huts to various places over the last one year to escape submergence.
- Island’s 3,500 voters ask political parties pointed questions on their likely action plan to save them from the imminent situation
- Ghoramara island located at Hooghly river’s confluence in Bay of Bengal in West Bengal, total population 5,000
- Not only Ghoramara but also entire Sunderbans spread across Mathurapur and Joynagar constituencies bear frequent brunt of climate change and threatened
- According to independent report by School of Oceanographic Studies 15 % of Sunderbans will go under water by 2020
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-national/sinking-sunderbans-islands-no-poll-issue/article5995121.ece