- Upon expiration of the deadline given to the government by the anti-govt protesters for release of prisoners and a referendum, the protesters seized more buildings, spread the revolt and have furthered the plans of holding referendum on May 11 in two regions of Donetsk and Luhansk simultaneously.
- Russia denied any intentions of annexing the eastern provinces and has also withdrawn its troops from Ukrainian border after the govt promised to not use weapons against civilians.
- Ukrainian troops deployed to tackle these protesters have not made a move.
- Meanwhile, EU has slapped sanctions on 15 more Ukrainians and Russians said to have a role in elevating the present day crisis in Ukraine, including Chief of the General Staff of the Armed Forces, Deputy Prime Minister of the Russian Federation, Russian President’s representative in Crimea, and others Ukrainian leaders who have provided leadership to the pro-Russian campaign.
- Angered by these sanctions Russia likened this to the sanctions during the Cold War and accused EU of carrying this out at the behest of US, and said this was a highly ignorant way of solving the crisis in Ukraine.
- Read at:
todays-paper/tp-international/ rebels-seize-another-office- in-east-ukraine/ article5961406.ece
http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thehindu.com% 2Ftodays-paper%2Ftp- international%2F15-russians- ukrainians-targeted% 2Farticle5961413.ece&sa=D& sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNE7j9bOxO5y- wUwMZtJN2nWdi6iIQ
- Ukraine crisis
- Geneva Agreement on Ukraine
- Sanctions against Russia