- Steel Authority of India Ltd. (SAIL) sued a Chhattisgarh-based company for Rs.337-crore for passing off its own products as that of SAIL.
- Earlier, a substandard construction steel material, marked as a SAIL product was being used in Jammu & Kashmir by a major infrastructure company which was buying the TMT bars for a local reroller.
- Following tip-offs regarding copyright infringement on construction steels such as TMT re-bars and structural such as beams, joists, angles and channels that violate provisions of the Trade Mark Act, 1999, SAIL has initiated steps to cut this growing trend that will not only tarnish the company’s image, but the substandard products being used will put at risk public life. That includes:
- Getting conversion agents to install machinery to replace the current practices of imprinting the trademark manually
- Posting its own officers at the premises of the conversions agents where RITES official would also maintain vigil.