U.S., allies ask Russia to change course
- The meet in Netherlands by G8 (U.S and its allies) suspended Russia but BRICS nations refused to isolate Moscow.
- Leaders of G-8 cancelled their meeting in Sochi, Russia, and announced they will meet in Brussels in G-7 format without Russia.
- The leaders of Canada, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the United Kingdom, the U.S., as well as the President of the European Council & President of the European Commission stated that Russia needs to change the course & normalize the environment where G-8 is able to have a meaningful discussion.
- There would be more painful sanctions against Russian economy if Russia continues to escalate its military intervention in Ukraine.
- BRICS nations rejected both, use of sanctions without mentioning the Ukraine crisis & Australia’s threats to block Russia from a G-20 meeting in that country.
- The Foreign Ministers of Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa said sanctions, use of ‘hostile language’, counter-sanctions, & force can not contribute to a sustainable and peaceful solution, according to international law, including principles & purposes of UN Charter.
- Mr. Lavrov and U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry met in Hague & both want Ukrainian authorities to consider constitutional reform considering interests of all regions of Ukraine without reflecting these interests in state structure.”
- Ukraine crisis
- Crimea Referendum