- Russia has started withdrawing its troops to allow conducive environment for Presidential elections.
- This was after first contacts were made between the Ukrainian govt authorities and the separatists. Russia also welcomed the Memorandum of Peace and Accord passed by the Ukrainian Parliament.
- This accord calls for:
- Halting bloodshed in the east.
- A constitutional reform granting autonomy to certain regions and special status to Russian language in Ukraine.
- While Russia still criticizes Ukraine for its military onslaught against the rebels, it described the Presidential elections as a step in the right direction. The softening stand is seen as an attempt to thwart the sanctions issued against it.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/russia-softens-stand-on-ukraine-vote/article6035172.ece
- Ukraine Crisis