Russia and West in Ukraine Crisis
- Home grown Ukraine crisis has now become a battlefield for both the west and Russia. Russia is haunted by its soviet era memories of controlling the large province of Ukraine,which now wanted to join the European Union .
- Russia wants to have a geopolitical as well as strategic advantage in the region and Ukraine’s decision to join European Union has left no room for maneuvering of affairs in the region by Russia.
- Ukrainian opposition supported west overthrew their president which has again compounded the problem & Obama famously said that Ukraine is no “Cold War chessboard.”
- Russia supplies major part of Ukraine’s energy requirement and Ukraine has been economically dependent on Russia for longtime.
- Russia has mobilized its military in the Russian speaking region of Crimea. EU is not doing enough to save the wounded country either.
- If the crisis is left unattended by both West & Russia, it could pave a way for another cold war era in the world which will have serious consequences.
- USSR and West
- Energy diplomacy
- European Union
- Eurasian Union