Disputed/Doubtful Voters Awaiting Clearance from the Foreigners’ Tribunal
- Approximately 1.43 lakhs of disputed/doubtful Assam voters will have their names included in the latest NRC (National Registry of Citizens), provided they are declared as non foreigners by the Foreigners’ Tribunals.
- This is one of the important modalities to update the National Registry of Citizen 1951, which has been jointly agreed by the Assam and Center Government.
- In the year 1997, wherein electoral rolls were revised, the election committee made it mandatory to mention the letter “D” against the names of voters who do not have sufficient proof of their Indian citizenship. All such cases were referred to the Tribunal of Foreigners.
- Ever since this order was passed by the Election Commission, the “D” voters have not cast their votes.
- Indian citizenship: Ways to acquire