- A rare riot in the jam packed Little India district in Singapore last year has given way to build recreation centers in suburbs.
- Singapore government is managing the multi-million dollar centers where foreign workers congregate after the rampage by South Asian labourers.
- These new centres will be built next to dormitories sited in industrial and is an alternative meeting for workers on their rest days.
- Currently four such centres are there in the industrial zones and the proposed new centerw will have sports, supermarkets and internet cafes etc
- Minister of Manpower Tan Chuan-Jin had first announced the new centres in January, in the aftermath of the Little India riot, which sharply brought into focus the way the wealthy city-state manages its nearly one million low-paid foreign workers.
- Singapore has a total population of 5.4 million, but only 3.84 million are citizens and permanent residents.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-opinion/singapore-plans-centres-outside-city-for-migrant-workers-report/article5980514.ece
- Indian Diaspora
- Labour Welfare Measures