- Iraqi military launched its Ramadan counter-offensive to reclaim the territory captured by the ISIS terrorists in hopes of stabilizing the region, forcing many residents to flee out of their homes.
- Efforts are being directed at forming a new inclusive govt, with Saudi calling upon top Sunni leaders in Iraq to join hands with the Shia-dominated govt to restore stability to the nation.
- The army used Mi-17 helicopters, Scan Eagle drones, Hellfire ground-to-air missiles mounted on a US aircraft. Despite the offensive, the militants continued firing rockets towards Baghdad’s periphery killing many.
- Large scale protests against the Iraq govt over human rights abuse sparked off this ongoing fight, which has led to the militants seizing the opportunity towards their agenda of establishing a Sunni-led Caliphat in the middle-east.
- Statistically, the Iraqi military is better off than the ISIS in terms of active military personnel and funding.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/iraq-launches-ramadan-counteroffensive/article6158679.ece