- In a deal brokered by Qatar, Bowe Bergdahl, the lone US soldier captured by the Taliban has been released in exchange for the release of 5 senior Taliban insurgents by the US.
- Both the parties have hailed this as a victory that could possible open up avenues for dialogue between the two parties providing a breakthrough for peace in the Afghan region.
- Taliban had imposed the condition of the release of these soldiers to launch peace negotiations with the US.
- The move was criticized by Republican lawmakers who were skeptic about the return of these insurgents to fight US.
- US Defense Secretary defended the move saying that it was done in the interest of the soldier. The release comes in the wake of Obama’s announcement of a final US pull out from Afghanistan by end-2016.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/soldiers-release-hailed-as-an-important-step/article6073312.ece
- US withdrawal from Afghanistan