- Amidst the looming threat of disintegration and economic collapse, Ukraine’s President-elect Petro Poroshenko took oath as the President of Ukraine.
- He vowed to avert the civil war and as part of a peace initiative offered amnesty to any insurgents whose ‘hands were not drained in blood.’
- While disregarding Russia’s annexation of Crimea, he promised the betterment of Ukraine-Russia ties.
- While US Vice President and European Council President were present at the swearing-in ceremony, Russia was only represented by its acting ambassador to Kiev.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-international/poroshenko-vows-to-avert-civil-war/article6093646.ece