- The Pakistani military said that it has launched an offensive to cleanse Pakistan of all militants irrespective of the outfit, and has killed more than 300 terrorists so far.
- The operations are approved by the govt and is a joint Pak-US operation, carried out by Pak military alone.
- The ones being targeted include Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan, Haqqani network (accused of being a Pakistan proxy targeting India in Afghanistan), Jamat-ud-Dawa (JuD, accused of being a front to the Lakshar-e-Taiba LeT, responsible for Mumbai terrorist attack) and many others.
- Hafiz Saeed, chief of JuD has dismissed the terror label on his organization saying that it was a charitable organization involved in education and relief operations, with links with the LeT.
- However, UN has listed JuD as an alias of LeT and an abettor of al-Qaida.
- Read at: http://epaperbeta.timesofindia.com/Article.aspx?eid=31806&articlexml=Haqqanis-too-a-target-of-army-offensive-Pak-27062014020036