Out-of-turn assurance on Seemandhra
- Prime Minister Manmohan Singh has assured the Parliament that Seemandhra region will be getting a special category State status for the next 5 years. Now, it has put UPA government in a awkward condition, because this region isn’t eligible for this, as per criterion laid by NDC (National Development Council). However, the council itself has the powers to relax or amend the criteria.
- PM is chairman of NDC, and all Chief Ministers, Union Ministers, officers of Union Territories, and Planning Commission are members of the council.
- It comes under following criteria I) hilly and difficult terrain, II) economic and infrastructural backwardness, III) low population density and/or sizable share of tribal population, IV) Non-viable nature of State finances.
- Now, only the NDC can make the final decision for granting the region with special state status.
- Special category State status
- National Development Council (NDC)