- Transport Minister Nitin Gadari has asked the Commerce Ministry to refrain from levying anti-dumping duty on solar panels as it will escalate the costs of solar panels by 100% and also because India’s nascent solar cell industry needs protection and nurturing.
- He suggested that indigenous manufacturers be compensated with appropriate subsidy.
- The Directorate General of Anti-Dumping and Allied Duties (DGAD) had proposed imposing duty to protect domestic manufacturers.
- India is already under the WTO scanner for its alleged domestic sourcing norms for the national solar mission, although India has time and again insisted compliance.
- Ministry of New and Renewable Energy (MNRE) has also opposed the decision to levy duty as this will adversely affect the growth of renewable energy in India, especially since its in the early stages.
- Read at: http://www.thehindu.com/todays-paper/tp-business/nitin-gadkari-opposes-plan-to-impose-antidumping-duty-on-solar-gear/article6102723.ece