Recognition of Jewish state an obstacle
- President Obama warned President Mahmoud Abbas of the Palestinian Authority as Israeli-Palestinian negotiations haven’t progressed.
- Israeli Prime Minister Netanyahu stated that to conclude a peace deal Palestinians should consider Israel as Jewish nation-state but this was rejected by Mr.Abbas.
- Palestinians demand that East Jerusalem be the capital of new Palestinian state.
- Mr. Abbas version of peace agreement includes a Palestinian state based on borders before the 1967 Arab-Israeli war and settling Jews in the west bank.
- Analysts are skeptical that Mr.Obama’s moves not isolate Israel as there are already tensions over Ukraine disputes & nuclear negotiations with Iran that it is facing.
- Mr.Abbas’s seriousness of achieving peace will reflect with the release of Palestinian prisoners by Israel.Israel promised to free 104 Palestinian prisoners in July, failure of which, can threaten the peace process.
- Israeli security & Palestinian state border are issues to be considered and comprehensive agreement is needed.
- Middle East horse-trading would be on allay for now as Mr. Kerry is busy with his diplomacy Ukraine diplomacy.
- Palestine-Israel issue