Nurturing teachers, for creating insightful scientists
- KSCSTE (Kerala State Council for Science, Technology and Environment) is all set to nurture brilliant science aspirants of the State.
- Taking it up to the school level first, KSCSTE has proposed a new scheme, called NEST (Nurturing Excellence in Science Teaching). This will improve quality and merits of science education.
- In the beginning, NEST is aimed to attract the school students and educate them about various scientific concepts. Furthermore, this will improvise the process of learning and teaching science. It will promote the investigatory type of project learning, development of supplementary resources, teaching aids and honouring the excellent science teachers.
- It will bring about many reforms to the process of science learning and teaching in schools. It will promote the investigatory type of project learning, development of supplementary resources, teaching aids and honouring the excellent science teachers.
- The proposed activities at school level involve –
- Enhancing the expertise of science teachers, in order to make learning process more resolute, enjoyable and meaningful,
- Encouraging teachers by honouring their skills, and providing them with ample resources, and a platform where they can share their experiences,
- Developing the flow of science teachers and building excitement about teaching and science learning.
- Identifying the extraordinary talents and giving them the due recognitions, aided by both private and government agencies.
- Introduce reward and recognition programs for science teachers of higher secondary, primary and secondary sections,
- Encouraging them for investigatory type project learning process.
- All the State-level science professors will be trained extensively to improve their skills. The training will be provided by the scientists of renowned labs and R&D centres of the State.
- Journals will be published, and blogs will be created to emphasize the prime achievements of the science teachers and students. They will also conduct periodic workshops at specific regions of the state. It will give them a great opportunity to interact with the experts in the field.
- According to officials, it will significantly develop positive attitude of students towards science and technology. They will create a solid foundation for various science concepts at school levels, to elicit interests among the students to pursue higher education in the same field.
- Science Education & its importance
- Kerala model of science education