NHRC notice to Haryana on child malnutrition
- NHRC issued notices to Haryana authorities after taking suo-moto cognisance of media reports of severe malnutrition among children (violation of the children’s human rights).
- This was observed from a report of the Post-Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research, Chandigarh. Features :
- 4 districts in Haryana (Karnal, Yamuna Nagar & Ambala districts) had an “alarming situation” of malnutrition among children
- 37.4% of children were found to be underweight
- 42.8% suffered from stunted growth
- 17.5% from wasting
- 95% of the children in Karnal were found to be anaemic
- children with severe acute malnutrition were 9 times more likely to die than well-nourished children
- In Haryana, 53% of deaths under the age of 5 were due to malnutrition.
- Stunted Growth